Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Lesson Learned


I thought I would get away with being lazy. Boy was I wrong. I will never (ever, ever!) again ride my bike without lubing up first.
I was only going to be on the bike for 90 minutes, a far cry from the 14 hours of my longest training ride. I was going to be on the trainer, in my apartment and it was intended to be an easy workout. The plan was to be in my aggressive aero position for the whole time, but 90 minutes isn't nearly long enough to cause CPS (Crushed Package Syndrome). CPS is serious, so serious that cyclists are willing to look like idiots by wearing spandex shorts with diapers sewn into them in order to avoid it. But this is only 90 minutes, surely I'll be fine, right?
After 30 minutes on the bike, I realized that while CPS only occurs on long rides (and has nearly been eliminated by the heaven sent Adamo saddle), I had forgotten about CBD. Chaffed Ball Disorder affects dozens of people in this country every day, and education is the key to defeating it. Prevention is crucial, because post-affliction treatment is unpleasant.
Everyone has their own favorite prevention method. There are a lucky few who are immune to CBD and don't need any protection, but luckily the rest of us have options. There are the cleverly named DZ-nuts and Bag Balm. There are the high end cycling products Chamois Butt'r and Assos Chamois Cream. There's the run of the mill Body Glide, or even plain old petroleum jelly. Hell, even KY or chapstick will do in a pinch - though with KY avoid the heat sensitive lotion, and with chapstick make sure you throw it away immediately to avoid a future mishap!
The point is, don't be a victim of CBD - protect yourself! You'll be glad you did.

No comments: